SOS-HGIC and Lillestrom VGS Exchange
Lillestrom Vinderegaende Skole (VGS), a Norwegian IB world school, partnered with SOS-Hermann Gmeiner International College in the early 2000’s to get involved in the great service opportunities that the socio-economic situation in nearby needy communities around the school (SOS-HGIC) offered.
For the last 15 years, SOS-HGIC and VGS have collaborated through the Creativity Activity Service (CAS) programme of the International Baccalaureate (IB) and the Student Council’s “Ghana Committee” respectively, to raise funds in support of projects aimed at providing basic amenities for deprived communities near SOS-HGIC in Tema.
Projects undertaken in the partnership include:
- Dedenya Village School Project
- Aklamador Village School Project
- Padmore Street School Library Project
- Community 8 ,No.2 school Computer Laboratory and Library
- The SOS-Hermann Gmeiner International College and Lillestrom VGS Scholarship Scheme (to support students from these schools who pass their final Basic Education Certificate Education, BECE, but do not have the means to further their education)
The community service projects are both challenging and enjoyable, a personal journey of self-discovery which includes experiences that are profound and life changing for students and all other stakeholders.
As part of the collaboration, an exchange programme was started to allow students from Lillestrom VGS experience hands-on work on the projects and students from SOS-HGIC help raising funds through a Motivation day in Lillestrom VGS, Norway. Students from Lillestrom VGS therefore visit SOS-HGIC every other year, while students from SOS-HGIC visit Lillestrom in the years their students do not come to Ghana.