Mission Statement, Philosophy and Objectives
The Mission of SOS-Hermann Gmeiner International College is to provide a school of academic excellence for students from SOS Children’s Villages from all over Africa, together with students from the host country, Ghana, in a spirit of Pan-Africanism and an awareness of the social needs of society.
The School’s philosophy embraces internationalism in its widest sense, a commitment to uplift Africa and active service to the community. Its educational mission is holistic in nature, aiming to develop all students into confident adults capable of facing the challenges of a fast–changing world, by inculcating in them critical and analytical abilities which will equip them to become compassionate thinkers who are aware of their common humanity, with a belief and pride in themselves as Africans. The College’s ultimate mission is to graduate life-long learners who are fully prepared for the best universities worldwide and who are also committed to putting their knowledge, skills and resources into developing their continent, Africa.
Objectives of the SOS-Hermann Gmeiner International College
The principal objectives or targets of the College are to:
- Provide supplementary education to candidates seeking admittance into the College, but who lack proficiency in certain subjects deemed as prerequisites to admittance into the College;
- Provide the highest possible standard of education to both SOS Children and non-SOS children showing potential for advanced academic education but who do not have access to adequate facilities;
- Prepare students for entrance into universities of high international standards;
- Enable students to appreciate the universal values which cut across cultures, such as integrity, honesty, fairness, and respect for all humans and the environment, and in so doing build a sense of purpose that is driven by these values;
- Instill within the students a sense of self-discipline and an approach to learning which may be used in a wide spectrum of situations and environments;
- Encourage the students to think creatively and independently but with a spirit of both healthy competition and co-operation with others;
- Develop a strong sense of international understanding amongst the students, a sensitivity to different world cultures and languages, and an appreciation for Africa’s role within the world. Thus to develop graduates with a sense of social responsibility and a commitment to contribute to Africa’s development within the international community;
- Provide individualised career counselling to all students on a regular basis to ensure a well-directed transition from academic studies to a self-supporting career;
- Develop formal and informal relationships with universities in Ghana and abroad to ensure smooth transitions for students graduating from the College and wishing to further their studies.